9″ plate (stay within the inner circle). Food should be no higher than 1/2″. Add a fruit and diary of you wish along w/flavored Mineral water or unsweetened tea. Want seconds! Go for the non-starchy veggies.
Dining out can be challenging. Don’t fret. Savior these fit and healthy life style tips while enjoying comfort food without overindulging.
Before the weather breaks, you’ll either give a barbeque or be invited to one. As a Type 1 Diabetic for 44 years, I’ve mastered the art of eating a balanced meal to avoid overeating.
Be a considerate host and avoid foods swimming in salt, sugar, fat and lighter fluid with chemically treated charcoal. And don’t forget to plans activities with movement: Charades, hula-hoop, medicine ball toss…. Step away from the plate, because the pork chop stops here!
Last, as a guest, offer to bring a healthy dish that’s colorful, meatless, and filled with veggies.
Tips from American Diabetes Association:
1. Survey the table before diving for food.
2. Use Choose My Plate Method website or phone app for making healthy choices.
3. Treating yourself to 1 bite-size snack is allowed.
4. Focus on eating skinless poultry, 90 % lean burgers or ground turkey, veggie or seafood kabobs, or a veggie or black bean burger.
5. Fill at least half of your plate with green colorful salads with other fresh non-starchy vegetables.
6. Use lite dressing or vinaigrettes.
7. Limit servings of beans, fruit, whole grain salads, & corn on the cob.
8. ONE small serving of dessert.
9. Stick to unsweetened herbal teas or mineral water w/lemon.
10. Done eating? No? Get another helping of non-starchy veggies. Then move those hips! Walk with a friend, help the host with dishes, or start a game that involves movement.